Sunday, May 5, 2013

Aunt Jessie

My heart is so heavy this afternoon.  My (GREAT) Aunt Jessie is very sick.  She had a car accident a few weeks ago, which was attributed to a stoke.  Although the stroke was ruled out, they still didn't know what caused her to crash.

My Grandma is one of 9 children...some have passed on and some are still on this earth making their mark, loving their grandchildren, showing God's love and making others laugh.  I love each one of them so much...but I must admit, two of my Great Aunts were my favorites.  One, Aunt Wilma, is already in Heaven.  And the other is Aunt Jessie.

Let me paint you a picture of my Aunt Jessie.  Her front door is always open to anyone, but especially her family.  You enter her house and step on shag carpets and are immediately transported back to simpler times.  The smell of freshly baked cookies fill your nose.  You are offered sweet tea, and even if you insist you are fine your hand will be filled with some goodie or another.  And even if you are perfectly content, she will find something to make your stay even better...a blanket, a meal, a nap and rub on the back.  Oh how she spoils.  Then you sit with her and she begs you to tell her all about what's been going on in your life.  She sits on the end of her chair in great anticipation of your next story.  She smiles knowingly and lovingly all the while taking in your every expression.  She holds your hand tight when it is time to leave, she just wants to make sure you know how much she loves you.  Her hugs are bountiful and her love expansive.  You cannot contain her love if you tried.

Oh how I pray that this will pass her by....that the Lord's will is for her to stay with us as long as possible.  I want that opportunity to see her at our annual family reunion in just few short weeks.  But if God says it is time for Aunt Jessie to leave and go to Heaven, I want His will done.  And oh, the homecoming will be amazing...to be welcomed by her mom and dad, brothers and sisters.  The joy she will have!!!


Enjoying our annual Taylor Family Reunion....


My Grandma, Aunt Jessie and Aunt Leola...



Me and Aunt Jessie in 2011...oh, how I love her so much.  


Philippians 3:20-21 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment