Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vain or Value

I am SOOO honored, thrilled and humbled EVERY single time another blog features me. I get this incredible rush...my cheeks turn red, my heart starts pounding, and okay...I get a little proud!! Just getting comments makes me seriously giddy as well. Anyone that has a blog appreciates that other people take time to check out their blog and especially when they leave comments. Upon noticing someone has taken time to read my blog I feel validated for taking time to write lengthy passages, or when I have posted seriously long tutorials on my latest craft. Ha!

I am even sad when I have not had the time to write a post or make a craft and link up to "linky parties". Some weeks go by and I have not had time or energy to update the blog...during those times I genuinely feel sad. Sad that I have "probably" not had any {me} time in the past few days, sad that I will go another week without a comment from someone else...is anyone gonna read my blog this week and sad that I find validation from such an insignificant source.

Sometimes I feel like I should be ashamed of myself for enjoying the "attention" I get from others when they visit my site. I know that joy does not/should not come from such things....it should come from Jesus, from watching your child smile, from reading some thought-provoking Bible verse, from laying on the floor playing Lego's with my littles, from raising my children 'in the way they should go', etc, etc, etc.

And maybe some days it is a bit trifle to seek those sweet compliments and I am completely aware that it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. BUT...on the days that I have cleaned up throw up, wiped 6 snotty noses {one right after the other}, changed 10 diapers, read 20 board books and served 5 different styles of sandwiches.....well, on those days it's nice to reach out and read what other adults in the world are doing. I may go hours and hours without adult interaction...so very often "blogland" is all that I have to connect with the REAL WORLD.

So maybe just maybe I am not completely vain and maybe my values don't lie in things that will perish...maybe I just like to feel good about myself, my craft and my family and I get that reassurance from this blog and from the wonderful people who frequent it.

I am so very grateful for this outlet....for the opportunity to express myself in many different ways, for the chance to capture sweet pictures and moments spent with family on this, my digital scrapbook. :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it's vain at all. When you have a talent (which you SO have a talent for decorating and crafting), it is wonderful to have it validated by someone else. And, I totally undertand the isolation that sometimes comes from being a Mom, it's nice to have a connection to the outside world. I think you are writing about how a lot of us feel!

    ReplyDelete