Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Memories

Each memory is so special, and each one I never want to forget:

*Every Christmas Eve as a kid, my brother and I would spend the night together in my room upstairs. It would take forever for us to fall asleep, wondering what wonderful surprises would await us in just a few short hours. We would often sit right at my door and listen for Santa. And if by chance I would wake in the night to use the bathroom I would ALWAYS sneak halfway down the stairs for a peak! Unfortunately I could rarely distinguish what was laid out on display from the jolly man himself....but I tried...I would let my eyes adjust to the darkness and try desperately to make out just a glimmer of an image. It NEVER worked! Santa was very smart, he always unplugged the Christmas tree lights as to not give away the bounty below it! I would return to bed and eventually fall back asleep, dreaming of Christmas morning and all the joy that it would bring.

*Every Christmas morning we go to my Grandma's for a hearty breakfast...some of us in our pajamas and some in our sweats. Our family would gather together at the table and partake of yummy sausage casserole, bacon and biscuits!! After gorging ourselves in the yumminess we would head to the den to open presents!!

*Each Christmas since Aidan was 4 we have read the story of Jesus' birth on Christmas Eve. We want our children to know the REAL reason for this blessed celebration. And although they may not yet get "it" we will continue to do our best to teach them the importance of keeping CHRIST in Christmas.

I was so blessed to be able to experience Christmas with my immediate and extended family as a child, and I want that for my kiddos as well. I pray our children will one day be able to recall such wonderful memories and traditions from their childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment