Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Please Sing Me a Song...

My children all asked me to sing them to sleep tonight.
I quickly sang a few ditty's from my mommy
repertoire to Finn and Owen,
then I moved on to B...who had been waiting patiently 
saying, "momma, mommy, mom, momma" from her bedroom.
She laid her head on my lap and I tickled her back, and ran her beautiful locks through my hands.
She happily listened as I sang the old stand by songs.
She smiled and was content to sleep...
after she got a sippy cup of juice.
I then remembered Aidan calling from his room asking me to sing him to sleep 15 minutes earlier.
I went in to sing and he was already asleep.
But I felt the need to wake him up to sing his favorite melodies.
And as I sat there singing our songs, I reflected back on 9 years of singing to this precious baby boy.
Only he's not a baby anymore...
he's huge...he's nine...I can't lift him anymore...
but still this precious big boy wants constant hugs and kisses from me and it is my privilege to give them,
and such a privilege to sing to this sweet child....
I know one day he won't want me to kiss him, hug him or sing "You Are My Sunshine" anymore.
So I must revel in this sweet time together.

My cheeks are covered in tears of gratitude that the Lord would let me be your momma.
I love you my sweetheart.
you are my sunshine
my only sunshine
you make me happy
when skies are grey
you'll never know dear
how much I love you
please don't take my sunshine away


*****
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be:)"

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cheeks are covered in tears...thanking God that my grandchildren have a Mommy who will take the time to sing to them, to ease them into a wonderful nights sleep.
    I love you Aidan,(Finley, Breslyn, Owen), oh yes I do, I love you A,F,B,O, oh yes I do....
    Thank you for putting a melody of love into their lives.

    ReplyDelete